DIY Christmas: Map Coasters

1 Dec 2013


The third installment of my DIY Christmas ideas is inspired by the wonderful site that is Pinterest. I'm not entirely sure how I coped before without Pinterest, but now its my go-to place when I need some inspiration. This DIY idea is actually a present I'm giving to my Best Friend. Shes recently moved down to Southampton to work for Ordnance Survey so I wanted to make her something 'homey' that she could use. When I saw these map coasters I knew that it'd be perfect for her. Working at Ordnance Survey she's obviously interested in maps and as she's now lived in four different places I had four ready made map locations!

You can make this present for anyone really, but making the map locations personal to them is a really great touch. The coasters are so easy to make, I literally made them in about an hour. All you need is a pack of Cork Coasters (I got mine from Hobbycraft but you can get them online too!), 4 maps that you've printed off, a paintbrush, Mod Podge (or any other glue sealant) and a craft knife or scissors.


Firstly you'll need to take a coaster and draw around it over the map, choosing the best location. Then cut this out and repeat for the other three maps.


Then using the paintbrush, paint the Mod Podge onto the cork and then stick on the map, being careful to smooth out any bubbles. Again repeat for the other coasters and leave to dry a little while. Mine slightly bent at this, so I put them under a placemat and put my camera on top to flatten them a little.


Once they'v set for around 10 minutes or so you can then paint the Mod Podge over the top of the maps and around the edges to set the coaster. Then leave overnight to dry.


There you have it, a really simple DIY that shows a lot of thought. :) I wrapped mine up in some left-over lace material and added a ribbon and bell for an added touch. Let me know if you try it!


Aimée
Xxxx

3 comments :

  1. This is an amazing idea. My Grandad would love something like this! x

    Jordan-Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love personal, DIY Christmas presents and this is such a lovely idea.

    samantha xx

    ReplyDelete